My channel stopped updating the data but shows entries | ThingSpeak API | Forum

Avatar

Please consider registering
Guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —






— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
My channel stopped updating the data but shows entries
No permission to create posts
October 8, 2016
5:32 pm
Avatar
westonhull

Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 5
Member Since:
October 8, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Has anyone had an issue with data stopped importing.  Nothing has changed via code or thingspeak.  I changed the API key just to verify it wasn't that and it shows the entries but does not show the data.  Even if I pull the CSV file it shows all the entries but no data in the fields.  

Like I stated before it was working just fine and then it stopped.  Any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

 

Thanks,

Wes

October 8, 2016
7:53 pm
Avatar
Vinod

MathWorks
Members
Forum Posts: 215
Member Since:
May 1, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Are you able to use a browser to GET data into the channel from a computer on the same network as your device? 

Is this behavior only seen on one channel? What is the channel number?

October 9, 2016
8:10 pm
Avatar
westonhull

Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 5
Member Since:
October 8, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

hello,

thanks for the reply.  I am not sure really how to use the GET feature.  It is on all channels.  I can see this under the serial monitor

server is at 192.168.2.90
Connecting to ThingSpeak...

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Length: 4
Connection: close
Status: 200 OK
X-Frame-Options: ALLOWALL
Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *
Access-Control-Allow-Methods: GET, POST, PUT, OPTIONS, DELETE, PATCH
Access-Control-Allow-Headers: origin, content-type, X-Requested-With
Access-Control-Max-Age: 1800
ETag: "1e51e0f3b6b60070219ccb91bb619a6b"
Cache-Control: max-age=0, private, must-revalidate
Set-Cookie: request_method=POST; path=/
X-Request-Id: f1670ca7-fc9a-407e-8e17-050ded7e3103
X-Runtime: 0.027753
X-Powered-By: Phusion Passenger 4.0.57
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 00:05:26 GMT
Server: nginx/1.9.3 + Phusion Passenger 4.0.57

4372...disconnected

Then under things speak it says 4372 Entries with no data..

 

I am really trying to learn the code side.  I understand the basics but the string concept that I was using confuses me. That is why I haven't touched it since I got it running.  If you have any ideas I am willing to listen.  Thanks in advance.

Wes

October 9, 2016
8:29 pm
Avatar
Vinod

MathWorks
Members
Forum Posts: 215
Member Since:
May 1, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Try this:

1) Login to your ThingSpeak account and set up a new public channel. Copy the write API key for the channel.

2) In a web browser go to:

https://api.thingspeak.com/update?api_key=<YOUR_API_KEY_WITHOUT_ANGLE_BRACKETS>&field1=<VALUE_YOU_WANT_TO_SET_TO_WITHOUT_ANGLE_BRACKETS>

That should post a value to your ThingSpeak channel. See the graph and confirm that you are able to see the newly posted value. Remember that you can only do that once every 15 seconds. If you see a number greater than zero, this is how many points are in that channel. If you get a 0, then the data didn't post.

If this works from your web browser, then we can confirm you can update ThingSpeak from your network. 

Since you mentioned you are getting started, you may want to look at this tutorial. Can you confirm the examples in the ThingSpeak library work for you?

If that does, then can you post your Arduino sketch code, replacing any API keys with placeholders.

October 9, 2016
11:37 pm
Avatar
westonhull

Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 5
Member Since:
October 8, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hello, 

The below did work as you stated.  However, I got it to work.  Not sure why this matters but it was originally on the Mega and I changed it to the UNO and it stopped working but when I changed it back to the MEGA it started working again.  Not sure why it matters, when I choose the correct board before compiling? I am using the same pins?

https://api.thingspeak.com/update?api_key=<YOUR_API_KEY_WITHOUT_ANGLE_BRACKETS>&field1=<VALUE_YOU_WANT_TO_SET_TO_WITHOUT_ANGLE_BRACKETS>

October 10, 2016
1:28 am
Avatar
Vinod

MathWorks
Members
Forum Posts: 215
Member Since:
May 1, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I'm glad you got it working again.

That's a pretty big change from running the code on an Arduino Mega to an Arduino Uno.Smile Remember that an Arduino Mega has a lot more memory than an Arduino Uno.

It is possible that your Uno is running out of memory or for some other reason unable to assemble the necessary information for the HTTP request correctly. This can depend on many factors including, the memory footprint of your compiled code, the amount of memory on the Arduino, etc. 

October 10, 2016
1:57 am
Avatar
westonhull

Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 5
Member Since:
October 8, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thank for the assistance! 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 114

Currently Online:
26 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

rw950431: 261

Vinod: 196

piajola: 85

turgo: 70

vespapierre: 63

Adarsh_Murthy: 62

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1

Members: 5703

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 17

Topics: 1313

Posts: 4565

Newest Members:

James181, kimberlypg2, JamesAdorb, waynesmith, paulettebw60, ashleytb4

Administrators: Hans: 387, lee: 457