data sundenly disapeared! | ESP Wi-Fi | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
data sundenly disapeared!
No permission to create posts
September 28, 2018
7:20 am
aedlpt32
Members
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hello,
I have been using since last february, 3 connected thermometers that send data to Thingspeak. The fields are as follow:
field1: thermometer 1 temperature
filed2: thermometer 1 battery voltage
field3: thermometer 2 temperature
filed4: thermometer 2 battery voltage
field5: thermometer 3 temperature
filed6: thermometer 3 battery voltage

Sundenly, this morning all voltage data disapeared! I do not see them on the charts, the android application I use cannot get the voltage data, and when I export data to a .csv file, I cannot see any voltage data. (even the data that was recorded before is gone).
However, all temperature data are all right.
I tried to clear the channel but it did not help. I still cannot see new data in the voltage fields.
On my side, I did not change anything (code or settings) to my thermometers.

Has anybody any idea of what could have happened? Was there any change on thingspeak side ?

By the way I have some other connected objets on different Thingspeak channels and they are still alright.

Thank you.
Best regards.

October 1, 2018
5:35 am
aedlpt32
Members

Hello,
I had to modifiy my code and reflash my connected thermometers to make them work again.
Previously I sent 12 temperatures records (field1) with a delta_t of 300 seconds each, follow by a voltage record (field2) with a delta_t of 0. It worked during several month...
To make it work again I mow send 11 temperatures records (field1) with a delta_t of 300 seconds each, followed by a record containing field1 and filed2 at the same time with a delta_t of 300.

It is not the first time I have to change my code because suddenly what worked before does not work anymore. Maybe thingspeak has recently updated their code, or changed specifications? It would be nice if they could confirm this point.

Best Regards.

October 2, 2018
9:29 am
cstapels
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 861

You will be able to see changes to ThingSpeak in the release notes:
https://www.mathworks.com/help/thingspeak/release-notes.html

ThingSpeak won't delete your old data if there are less than 10^6 points (subject to the present license), and that policy has not been strictly enforced.
Often data the disappears is the result of autoscale changing axis and limits on your thingSpeakPlots.

To be sure to see your data, try to read data using the REST API, for example https://api.thingspeak.com/channels//feeds.json?api_key=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX&results=10

Recently, ThingSpeak is enforcing the requirement that all timestamps be unique. That would not result in deleting of any data, but new data may be rejected if it has a repeated timestamp. Using relative timestamps in a bulk update may have resulted in some overlapping times. The first timestamp starts at the time of the posting. If you have 11 updates and post more often than 300 * 11 seconds, you might get a repeat.

October 4, 2018
5:56 am
aedlpt32
Members

Hello,
Thank you for your answer.
Unfortunately, I have a new problem this morning. It stopped working again... All data fileds are not updated anymore (not only voltage, but also temperature fields.
I cleared the channel data again. When I did so, I could see data updates, but only once, and partially for one of my thermometer.
For thermometer 1 , I have got 12 temperature records : from 10:15:25 to 11:10:25 (update was made at 11:10:25)
For thermometer 2 , I have got 1 temperature records : from 11:23:02 (update was made at 11:23:02, the thermometer sent 12 records, but I can only see one)
For thermometer 3 , I have got 12 temperature records : from 09:49:36 to 10:44:36

At 11:44:15, thermometer sent 12 records, but 1 can see only on record (at 11:44:15), where has I should have 12 record from 10:49:15 to 11:44:15...

May be I have to give up using bulk record and 3 different thermometers on one channel. If I cannot figure out what is going on, I will have to use one channel per thermometer.

What would be Thingspeak's recommendation?

October 4, 2018
8:31 am
aedlpt32
Members

Hum.... Suddenly , after clearing channel data a second time, it works again... Difficult to understand... Sometimes ago, I noticed that althought data was accepted, it was not immediatly available on the graph. As if there was a certain delay between data reception and data display. Maybe it was the case this morning, but it took much longer (several hours) than normaly? Since the service is free, (Thank you Thingspeak) it is difficult to ask for rock solid stability, but if I continue to experience problems, maybe I will consider running my own server at home for my IOTs. (Well, I do not say, it will be more stable, but at least, I will understand what is happening).

October 4, 2018
11:51 am
cstapels
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 861

Having one channel per device is definitely recommended. If the device writes are not synchronized, two posts from separate devices could happen within the allowed update window and be rejected. Even worse, If you submitted a second bulk update while the first one was processing, or submit data with the same timestamp as existing data, it will be rejected. At the time of the submission, we may not be able to tell you that the submission failed since the processing was still happening (for the bulk update case).

Though we have experienced some small downtime, I would consider the service to be rock solid. If you are parsing your responses to be sure the format was correct and you receive a 200 level response, data with unique timestamps will definitely be posted.

I have not experienced data taking more than a few seconds to show up once successfully posted. I have lost connectivity and had a post fail, then my device had to retry for some time before the post succeeded.

What method are you using to make sure the data is being posted? Are you using an API call to read the data?

Unless you are trying to write data with identical timestamps, you should not need to clear the channels. Even if you do clear the channel, it will have no effect on the posting of any new data.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 166

Currently Online:
20 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

rw950431: 272

Vinod: 240

piajola: 95

turgo: 70

vespapierre: 63